Dr. Duncan Wells, M.D
970 Woodstock Parkway, Suite 310
Woodstock, GA 30188
Phone: (770) 517-2257
Education and Training:
- Royal Perth Hospital Perth, Western Australia,
Hand and Microsurgery Fellowship 1993
- Los Angeles County - USC Medical Center Los Angeles, CA
Orthopaedic Residency 1988 - 1992
- Los Angeles County - USC Center Los Angeles, CA
Orthopaedic Internship 1987 - 1988
- Emory University School of Medicine Atlanta, GA
- University of California Santa Barbara,
B.A. Pharmacology 1983
1996-present: Founder and CEO of Atlas Orthopedics.
1993-1996: Staff Orthopedic Surgeon, Southern California Permanente Medical Group.
2007: Interim Chief of Hand Surgery, VA hospital, Atlanta
Associate Clinical Professor, Emory University School of
Medicine, Department of Plastic and Hand Surgery.
- Northside Hospital - Cherokee
- Marietta Surgery Center
- American Academy of Orthopaedic Surgery
- Southwestern Orthopaedics Society
- American Society of Hand Surgery
- Southern California Permanente Medical Group Panorama City, CA 1993 - 1996
- Full-Time Staff Orthopaedic Surgeon
- Created and Managed Hand Clinic
- Responsible for Most of the Group's Hand and Upper Extremity Surgery
- Wells, D., Dall, D. : " The effect of stem cross-sectional geometry on cement stresses."
Presented at the LAC - USC Research Day, 1992.
- Wells, D., Waters, R. : " Hetertopic Ossification about the Hips Following Closed Intramedullary Nailing of the Femur in Brain-Injured Adults." Submitted for Publication, 1990.
- Wells, D., Buchanan, W. : "Anterolateral Compartment Syndrome Following Avulsion of the Peroneal Muscles." Submitted for Publication, 1990.
- Wells, D., Ecker, J. : "Neurovascular Island Pedicle Flaps for Coverage of Fingertip Injuries." Submitted for Publication, 1993
- Lowman Award, 1992.
Given each year to the outstanding research paper of the graduating class of the LAC - USC Medical Center Orthopaedic Residency.
- Rancho Los Amigos Award, 1990.
Given each year to the outstanding rehabilitation paper at this Hospital.
- Phi Beta Kappa, 1981.
Lambda Chapter, University of Santa Barbara.
- Summa Cum Laude, 1982.
- University of California, Santa Barbara.
- Wells, D., King, J., Roe, T., and Kaufman, F. : " Review of Slipped Capital Femoral Ephysis Associated with Endocrine Disease." Published in the Journal of Pediatric Orthopaedics, 1993.
- Board Certified, American Boards of Orthopaedic Surgery, 1996.
- Diplomate, National Board of Medical Examiners, 1987.
- Medical License: Georgia Medical License, 1996.
- California Medical License, 1988.
- Fluent in Spanish and French.
Continuing Medical Education Credits (1992 - 2005)
- July 1992: Hand Surgery Review Course ( American Society for Surgery of the Hand), Los Angeles, California
- January 1993 - July 1993: Hand & Micro Surgery Fellowship, Perth, Western Australia
- February 1994: Annual meeting of the Academy of Orthopaedic Surgeons, Orlando, Florida
- March 1994: Annual meeting of the Southern California Permanente Group, Huntington Beach, California
- April 1994: Aged Endoscopic Carpal Tunnel Release Course, Palm Springs, California
- October 1994: Total Knee Arthroplasty Update (Sponsored by Ostenics), Catalina Island, California
- February 1995: AAOS 62nd Annual Meeting, Orlando, Florida
- February 1995: America Society for Surgery of the Hand Specialty Society Day, Orlando, Florida
- July 1995: The orthopaedic Surgery review course. The Osler Institute, Chicago, Illinois.
- October 1995: Total Joint Arthroplasty Review (Sponsored by Intermedics), Carmel, California
- July 1996: American Board of Orthopaedic Surgeons, Board Certification
- August 1996: State Board Workman's Compensation Review, Atlanta, Georgia
- January 1997: Annual Meeting American Association for Hand Surgery, Boca Raton, Florida
- January 1997: Hybrid Ring Fixation in Trauma, Atlanta, Georgia
- February 1997: Survive and Thrive-Improving Surgical Practice Management, Atlanta, Georgia
- May 1997: 4th Annual Master Series-Techniques in Arthritis Surgery, Los Angeles, California
- August 1997: Southern Medical Association-Taking Control in Managed Care, Atlanta, Georgia
- November 1998: Knee Lecture and Laboratory, AANA, Palm Springs, California
- November 1998: Shoulder Lecture and Laboratory, AANA, Palm Springs, California
- January 1999: McVey & Associates, Reimbursement & Coding for Orthopaedics, Atlanta, Georgia
- May 1999: 6th Annual Master Series-Techniques in Arthritis Surgery, Pasadena, California
- January 2000: Arthroscopy and Reconstruction Surgery 2000, Scottsdale, Arizona
- January 2001: McVey & Associates, Medicare and Private Insurance Coding, Atlanta, Georgia
- March 2001: Annual Meeting of the Academy of Orthopaedic Surgeons, San Francisco, California
- April 2002: 9th Annual Masters Series - Techniques in Arthritus Surgery, Pasadena, California
- October 2002: Annual Meeting of The American Society for Surgery of the Hand, Phoenix, Arizona
- July 2003: Annual Meeting of The Kaiser orthopaedic Departments, Maui, Hawaii
- May 2004: 9th International congress on surgery of the shoulder, Washington, D.C.
- February 2005: Annual Meeting of the Academy of Orthopaedic surgeons, Washington D.C.